Skip to main content

Writing How to write an Adventure Gamebook

 Uploaded a video about writing 'How to write an adventure gamebook'.



Buoyed with confidence after finishing Monstrous Manor, I decided to try to create a useful guide to writing an adventure gamebook. I was and still am clearly no expert in the field but I felt I could gather together lots of useful information into one place to give a useful overview of the process from initial gestation to published book.

I had also developed a short lived but rabid interest in AI and wanted to explore its possibilities. To that end, I used Dreamstudio and other AI image generators to create characters and backgrounds for the cover and internal decoration. I experimented with ChatGPT to try to create a gamebook which I quickly discovered was way beyond its capabilities. Nonetheless I expanded some of the passages it produced to create a small gamebook adventure which I included both to illustrate potential AI capabilities and as a bit of fun for the reader.

Overall I think I managed to give a decent overview of the mechanics behind creating a Gamebook and an insight into the steps required to publish the final manuscript as well as creating a handy reference to the many resources available to the novice and more experienced writer.

Until next time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Correx / Coroplast Kayak

While I am still having trouble getting back to my writing, I've been indulging in another interest of mine - small boats. I currently live within walking distance of the water so I've been experimenting. Having been intrigued by the designs of Paul Elkins and other trailblazers, I ordered a sheet of 4mm 4 x 8 Correx and after some careful measuring and scoring, folded it into a small kayak. It's held together with 6 cable ties and for the first successful test had a couple of strips of electrical tape at bow and stern. For the next outing, I covered the bottom with duct tape to give some protection when landing / launching and built a small internal frame to stiffen up the hull and give some back support. It is only suitable for sheltered waters but is fairly stable, sits nicely and can handle some larger waves and chop without giving cause for concern. Next experiments are to fit some kind of oarlock, try a drill powered propellor and fit a very small sail and rudder! In

Just a quick update

 Two more stages finished on my current gamebook. The Lake - An opportunity to earn some money and go for a little swim - if you dare. The Mountains - Two deadly adversaries. Will you prevail? Just two more to go!

Monstrous Mythology now available

 I have just published my latest adventure gamebook Monstrous Mythology Available as a paperback from Amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0C6W5W3ZC/ Invited to a talk by the local historical society you fall asleep ... only to awaken in an ancient world full of mythological monsters. Can you defeat the dreaded Hydra or will you succumb to the many dangers you must face during your quest? Arm yourself with a pencil, eraser and optional D6 dice as you try to survive - Monstrous Mythology.