Skip to main content

Writing Monstrous Mythology

 Uploaded a video about writing Monstrous Mythology



Monstrous mythology was my second adventure gamebook.

I had read a number of fighting fantasy books in the months in-between Publishing monstrous manor and planning this one and I learnt a lot about structure and flow. I also decided I wanted to try to implement a simple scoring system. Letting the player do some of the work makes it easier to plan the book but also increases it's interactivity so it's win win.

And here I have to make a confession. I never played a full gamebook properly using dice or scoring systems and I have frequently used the multiple fingers in pages method of reading just in case I met an untimely end. I was and still am a reader as opposed to a gamer. The mechanics got in the way of the story for me.

I do appreciate that lots of people play gamebooks because they enjoy the mechanics of it which is great and that's why I decided to include a scoring system in this book but I probably made it a bit too easy. I know there are readers that relish the challenge of beating a difficult gamebook, however I wanted everyone to be able to experience the whole adventure rather then getting stuck in one place for little reward.

I decided to use a mythological setting because I wanted to do something different than the standard d&d adventure. Luckily I found some great artwork that helped to influence the planning of the book.

Again it was a great learning experience and hopefully a noticeable improvement over my first book.

Until next time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Correx / Coroplast Kayak

While I am still having trouble getting back to my writing, I've been indulging in another interest of mine - small boats. I currently live within walking distance of the water so I've been experimenting. Having been intrigued by the designs of Paul Elkins and other trailblazers, I ordered a sheet of 4mm 4 x 8 Correx and after some careful measuring and scoring, folded it into a small kayak. It's held together with 6 cable ties and for the first successful test had a couple of strips of electrical tape at bow and stern. For the next outing, I covered the bottom with duct tape to give some protection when landing / launching and built a small internal frame to stiffen up the hull and give some back support. It is only suitable for sheltered waters but is fairly stable, sits nicely and can handle some larger waves and chop without giving cause for concern. Next experiments are to fit some kind of oarlock, try a drill powered propellor and fit a very small sail and rudder! In

Just a quick update

 Two more stages finished on my current gamebook. The Lake - An opportunity to earn some money and go for a little swim - if you dare. The Mountains - Two deadly adversaries. Will you prevail? Just two more to go!

Monstrous Mythology now available

 I have just published my latest adventure gamebook Monstrous Mythology Available as a paperback from Amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0C6W5W3ZC/ Invited to a talk by the local historical society you fall asleep ... only to awaken in an ancient world full of mythological monsters. Can you defeat the dreaded Hydra or will you succumb to the many dangers you must face during your quest? Arm yourself with a pencil, eraser and optional D6 dice as you try to survive - Monstrous Mythology.